In our home, at least once a week is soup night. Usually, I’ll whip up a simple chicken noodle soup with oodles of vegetables. But occasionally, I’ll try something a little bit different. This week, it was my vegan butternut squash soup. I use coconut milk to achieve that rich velvety texture that makes butternut soup something special. Not to forget a pinch or two of spice for a little bit of zing!
Although the past few days have been quite mild here in Scotland, with plenty of rain, tomorrow we’re back to a scorcher. So thankfully I made this soup when I did! Tomorrow, it’s back to salads!
In regards to the recipe, I do have a few simple notes.
The butternut squash is roasted, to ensure a rich flavour. I also find it creates a much smoother velvety texture as compared to boiling the butternut squash instead. By roasting it, you also have the Maillard reaction in action. This process is the caramlisation of the sugars in the butternut squash which helps create a really rich, and deep flavour.
To create a smooth texture, I also use a hand blender, or immersion blender. You can also use a blender or a food processer, but just ensure you remain careful if you use either of these. When blending hot liquids, the steam that is released can cause the lid to pop off! That’s why I stick to a handheld blitzer – much safer, and easier to clean too.
Butternut squash Soup Recipe
- 1 large butternut squash, halved legnthwise, seeds removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp minced chilli
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable stock, hot
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt, to season
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Place butternut squash skin side down on a baking sheet and brush with a small amount of olive oil.
- Roast in the hot oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the flesh is starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Scoop out the cooked flesh from the butternut squash and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onions 5-10 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic and cook additional 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the butternut squash, chilli, cumin, coriander, hot vegetable stock and coconut milk and using a stick blender, blitz until velvety smooth.
- Allow to heat through on medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Finally, stir through lemon juice and season with salt to suit.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 27.9gSaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 26.1gFiber: 5.9gSugar: 8.1gProtein: 4.3g