Cheesy Skillet Chilli
Deliciously tasty, this cheesy skillet chilli has lean beef mine, black beans and golden, melted cheese.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 500g lean beef mince/ground beef (5% fat)
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 - 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 beef stockpot or stock cube (not liquid stock)
- 500g passata
- 400g tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 125g boccocini or mini mozarella, drained
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil before cooking the onions until just starting to soften - about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Next, add the tomato paste and cook down until thick and dark red.
- Add the ground beef and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until dark brown and starting to caramelise and turn slightly crispy at the edges.
- Stir through the cocoa powder, smoked paprika, chilli flakes, cumin and coriander, before adding the passata and stockpot, and stirring through.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir the black beans through the chilli, and then place the bocconcini or mini mozzarella on top of the chilli evenly.
- Transfer the skillet to the hot oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is turning golden at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and serve with warm tortilla chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 18.4gSaturated Fat: 8.9gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 315mgCarbohydrates: 23.9gFiber: 5.6gSugar: 1.8gProtein: 38.9g
Please note, this nutrition information is to be used as a guide only. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
More Beef & Steak recipes
Cheesy Skillet Chilli Recipe
Do you ever simply crave comfort food? I feel like that’s been me a lot lately. Here in Scotland, we’re transitioning into Spring, however, are still getting the odd snow flurry and chilly nights. On days like this, I turn to comfort and what’s more comforting than a cheesy skillet chilli recipe?
With golden dollops of bocconcini (or mini mozzarella!), my chilli uses ground beef or beef mince, whichever you’d prefer to call it, perfectly seasoned with paprika, cumin, coriander and cocoa powder! Cocoa adds a wonderful richness to chilli and although it may sound a little strange, I highly recommend it.
And of course, what’s a skillet chilli recipe without black beans? These add a wonderful flavour to the chilli and help bulk it out a little so it goes further. We all sit around this skillet chilli with a bag of mini corn tortillas, scooping out mouthfuls of the rich, gorgeous mince. Healthy? No. But perfectly cosy for the unexpected cold night in Scotland.
There’s not much else to add to this recipe, other than it’s important to really cook down the beef mince. You don’t want to cook it until it’s just cooked. You want the edges to be turning golden brown so you end up with a wonderfully textured mince. It may seem a little scary to cook the mince longer than you usually would, but it adds so much more flavour to the chilli! And if a little extra work (no more than five to ten minutes), creates something thoroughly delicious? I’m all for it!
Comfort food aside, I do hope the weather truly starts to warm as Spring makes itself more comfortable. I’m looking forward to all the salad recipes I have to share, as, after all, I am an Aussie and Summer is our season!