After a week of warm weather (for Scotland at least!) we’re thankfully having a bit of a cool break and some rain. The perfect weather for comfort cooking! There’s nothing better, to me than spending a cosy rainy day in my kitchen. Especially when it gives me the time, and luxury, to make lasagne. Or today’s recipe – my healthy lasagne.
One of my favourite dishes to cook is lasagne – layers upon layers of indulgence, taking hours to prepare. However, it is probably not best suited to summer when I prefer to eat lighter meals. That’s why in Summer I make my healthy lasagne, with less than 500 calories per serving. There’s no bechamel sauce, just layers of lean beef and roasted Mediterranean vegetable – yum!
In my healthy lasagne, I replace the bechamel sauce with roasted Mediterranean vegetables. Starting with a layer of pasta at the bottom of my favourite lasagne dish, I then top this with vegetables, followed by the lean beef, then more pasta, and repeat! On top of this is buffalo mozzarella – and a little of this goes a long way!
And in Summer I find I don’t want greasy cheeses, or rich sauces to be honest. I just want soups and salads, or light pasta dishes with oodles of vegetables. I want my food as bright and light as the weather! That’s why I think this lasagne is perfect for summer. It’s light, and it doesn’t weigh you down, and there’s little guilt involved.
I love serving this with an easy side salad, made with rocket, shaved parmesan, red onion, tossed through a balsamic dressing. Absolutely delicious!
Healthy Lasagne with Roasted Vegetables Recipe
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup passata
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
Mediterranean Vegetable Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 aubergine diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Large pinch of sea salt flakes
- 125g Lasagne sheets (approximately 6 sheets)
- 125g buffalo mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Toss the vegetables through the oil and salt, and transfer to a large baking tray.
- Transfer to the hot oven, and roast for 20 minutes or until the vegetables start to turn dark.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven, and set aside to cool for ten minutes.
- Using a food processor, or stick blender, blitz the vegetables until roughly chopped.
- Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the mince and cook until browned.
- Add 1 cup passata, beef stock, and oregano and stir through.
- Add 1/2 cup of the roasted veg and stir through.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Lightly grease a small lasagne dish.
- Line the base of the dish with lasagne sheets.
- Top with a thin layer of roasted vegetables, followed by a layer of meat sauce.
- Repeat with another layer of pasta, vegetables, and meat sauce.
- Add a final layer of pasta, and top with the remaining vegetables, adding a small amount of passata if necessary.
- Set aside for at least one hour prior to cooking.
- Cover with torn buffalo mozzarella, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 397mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 34g
Please note, this nutrition information is to be used as a guide only. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.