Roast Carrot and Harissa Hummus
Humus with a twist! This gorgeously rich and flavoursome hummus recipe is a little bit sweet, and a little bit spicy thanks to harissa!
- 700g carrots, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tbsp olive oil, additional
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water
- Sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Toss the carrots through 1 tbsp olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt flakes.
- Spread the carrots in a single layer on a baking tray, and then roast for 55-60 minutes, or until they're easily pierced with a fork and have started to brown.
- Remove the carrots from the oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the carrots cool, heat the cumin seeds in a small pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, transfer the carrots, 1/4 cup olive oil, tahini, garlic, harissa paste, toasted cumin seeds, sumac, lemon juice, and a large pinch of salt to the bowl of a food processor.
- Blitz until well combined and the carrots are completely mashed.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the mix, and pulse until well combined. Add more water as needed to get the desired hummus-like consistency.
- Serve with crusty bread, of toasted flatbreads.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 13.6gSaturated Fat: 2.1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 9.1gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 3.5gProtein: 2.3g
More Sauce Recipes
Roast Carrot and Harissa Hummus Recipe
Who else is excited and relieved that lockdown is easing? Finally, we’re able to see our families and soon with our friends too. For me, this means I’m able to get back into the kitchen to start cooking food for people other than myself. Party food, food to entertain. And my roast carrot and harissa hummus is one of my favourite entertaining treats.
With lockdown easing, this hummus dip was made for a small family get together to celebrate a birthday. I served it with toasted flatbreads and warm cob loaf which are my favourite hummus accompaniments. Honestly, if you’ve never tried a chunk of warm cob loaf dunked into a zesty dip – you’re missing out!
This hummus with a twist has gorgeously roasted carrots, perfectly sweet, couple with the spicy floral flavours of harissa. Working together, two two make a wondreful dip and humus alternative that tastes as good as it looks.
Similar to my baba ghanoush and hummus recipes, this roast carrot and harissa hummus has a wonderfully rich Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flavours which I adore. Though I must admit any dip with nutty tahini and zest lemon juice is right up there!
When making this recipe, it’s important to pay careful attention to the roasting carrots. They must be soft enough to be pierced with a fork when they come out of the oven. Otherwise, you won’t be able to blitz them! And the more colouring the carrots have means the deeper the flavours thanks to the Maillard reaction. If you’re a regular reader, you know I love some good caramelisation in my cooking! After all, it’s not what ingredients you use, but how you use them!