The weather has been strange here in Scotland, making deciding what to cook each day that much more difficult. The mornings are brisk and chill, whereas it warms up throughout the day to something rather uncomfortable. I like to think it’s Scotland’s last attempt at Summer! But no matter how warm it is, sometimes all I want is cosy food – a creamy chicken one-pot.
You know those days when all you want is comfort food? Something easy, rich and delicious? Well, this creamy chicken one-pot is exactly that. With chicken breast cooked in a rich cream sauce, it’s everything to love. And the secret weapon in this recipe? Pesto. I use an artichoke and truffle pesto, but you can use any pesto you have on hand.
Honestly, pesto is my secret weapon in a lot of my lazy day dinners. It adds such a wonderful depth of flavour to everything you add it to. And although this creamy chicken one-pot may look lacking in colour, that’s simply because of the pesto I chose. This chicken one-pot would taste absolutely amazing with sun-dried tomato pesto, or even pesto alla Genovese – a rich basil pesto.
And who doesn’t love a one-pot dinner? Less mess, less fuss, and a whole lot less washing up. When you’re tired and just want dinner on the table, a chicken one-pot is the dream. Despite still working from home due to the ongoing pandemic, I’ll be honest that finishing work in one office to then cook dinner in the other office (the kitchen) can be exhausting.
However, we simply need to adapt to the new normal! And as much as I whine, I actually more often than not enjoy the extra time I get in the kitchen each day. Though maybe not all the extra washing up! After all, who wants to wash up when you have delicious food waiting to be gobbled up!
Creamy Chicken One-Pot with Spinach and Brocollini Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 500g chicken breast
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 125g pancetta, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp artichoke pesto (or your favourite pesto)
- 300ml double cream (thickened cream)
- 50g parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 100g baby spinach
- 100g brocollini (tenderstem broccoli)
- Zest of one lemon
- Flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until golden and browned. Remove the chicken and transfer it to a plate. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil to the pot, and reduce heat to medium. Add the pancetta and cook for 4-5 minutes or until just starting to turn golden.
- Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and pesto and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add to the pan the cream, cheese, season with salt and pepper, and stir through well. Next, add the chicken and the broccolini and increase heat to medium-high and bring to a heavy simmer.
- Cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer covered for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Finally, add the lemon zest and spinach and stir through - the spinach will take about 1-2 minutes to wilt into the sauce. Sprinkle with some chopped flat-leaf parsley and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 856Total Fat: 67gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 229mgSodium: 533mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 51g
Please note, this nutrition information is to be used as a guide only. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.